Tonight’s English Premier League action sees Southampton vs Arsenal in a mid-table matchup. Neither team is in danger of being relegated, but both do have an opportunity to qualify for European soccer if they produce positive results for the rest of the season.
Southampton comes into this one following a 3-0 victory over last-placed Norwich City. Their form appears to have been positively affected by the pandemic break if you only look at this result. However, it is important to remember that Norwich has been this season’s punching bag.
Arsenal has been on terrible form since the restart. First, they suffered a 3-0 thrashing against league chasers Manchester City. Following this, Brighton, who is in 15th place (just below Southampton) also dealt Arsenal a loss. So, the team isn’t really that reliable at the moment.
Who will win in this matchup between two teams chasing the possibility of appearing in the UEFA Europa League next season?
Southampton vs Arsenal Predictions
So, before we get into the predictions, let’s have a look at some of the stats in this one:
- Southampton is currently in 14th position in the league. As stated above, they come into this one off a win. Before the break, the team had been in terrible form, getting one win in their last five games. So, despite the big win over Norwich, they aren’t exactly a reliable team.
- Danny Ings is the Saints top scorer. He has scored a total of 16 goals this season and stands a chance of winning the Golden Boot award if he can catch up to Jamie Vardy (19). He will no doubt be pushing to make a breakthrough in coming games.
- Arsenal comes into this one following two losses since the restart. If their performance against Brighton is anything to go by, the team is in terrible shape, and, surprisingly, the result was only 2-1.
- Under the management of Spaniard Mikel Arteta, Arsenal has seemingly taken more of a Southern European approach to soccer, in defending a goal after it has been scored. However, this doesn’t appear to be working for the struggling team. (Usually, it only works for teams with good defensive lines.)
- Arsenal and Southampton have met each other 98 times. Overall, Arsenal has got the edge having won 50 times, whereas Southampton has only won 21 times.
Arsenal’s last two performances have been shocking. So, one may believe that they may be the underdog in this one. Sportsbooks certainly do. But it’s hard to say that Southampton really is a superior team, seeing as the only time we’ve seen them in action was against the worst team in the league.
Overall, we think that you should go for a simple three-way moneyline in this one because the return is still pretty good. We believe that Southampton will capitalize on Arsenal’s low confidence following their poor restart form. (No correct score guess on this one. It’s a little too risky.)
Bet on This Game Here
More soccer betting news:
About the Author
Kim is a sports betting and casino gaming fanatic who loves to place bets on all the biggest sports in the United States. She also loves exploring the wonderful world of casino gaming. Make sure to check our her sports betting picks!
More Posts from US Online Gambling.